Is the pen mightier than the sword?
The Kids’ Philosophy Slam will give your young thinker the chance to answer that question!
The Kids’ Philosophy Slam is an annual contest in which students express their feelings or ideas about a philosophical question. Students may use any creative combination of words and artwork to do so. We’ve had kids write essays and poems, paint pictures and create comic books — whatever allows them to express their thoughts about the question at hand is fair game!
A national winner is selected from each grade level, K-12. Just a few years ago, TJ was home to the “Most Philosophical 3rd Grader in America”!
Participation involves a few simple steps:
(1) Give your child the freedom to think and create, then plan on handing in your child’s KPS entry to Ms. Lang by March 3, 2017.
(2) Clearly label the entry with the following information (for written work this information should go on the TOP FRONT of your paper; for artwork, label the BACK of the artwork):
- Student Name
- Grade Level
- Teacher: Ms. Lang (I’m the contact for this, so you’ll need my name here, not the classroom teacher’s name)
- School: Thomas Jefferson Elementary
- Address: 601 South Oak Street, Falls Church, VA, 22046
- Phone #: 703-248-5660
- Email: email@example.com
(3) Understand the criteria for judging: Entries in this age category will be judged on creativity, originality, and overall strength of message.